Keep Warm with a Residential Propane Tank

It’s October, which is the official start of the heating season in Virginia. As we bask in the cooler, yet comfortable, autumn weather it may seem premature to think about discussing propane delivery, but this is actually a great time to learn how to properly check the level in your tank, recognize a leak and determine what you need to do if you run out of propane and need to contact Quarles.

Propane, also known as liquefied petroleum gas, LP gas or LPG, can be used throughout the home, indoor and out, to supply heat and power to appliances, fireplaces and outdoor generators. No matter if your home is completely powered by propane or you supplement with propane’s clean energy, it’s always important to know how to safely operate your residential propane system.

Checking the Propane Tank

Setting up automatic deliveries for your residential propane tank can be a great way to ensure that you and your family are not left out in the cold during the Virginia heating season from October-May. To determine the current level in your residential propane tank, check the round dial with numbers. Above-ground tanks are generally considered full at 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent leaves room for expansion in fluctuating temperatures. For example, a 60 gallon tank at 80 percent will contain 48 gallons. For every 10 percent reduction in the tank you can subtract six gallons. It is recommended to not let the tank drop below 25 percent full because condensation can form in the tank, and any level below 25 percent could cause an interruption in service. Click here if you’re not yet signed up for automatic delivery.

Performing a Leak Check

An interruption in service (seasonal, new installation or out of propane) requires a leak check. The safety check might also be performed if there is a report of a gas odor, leak or excessive usage. The smell can best be described as a sulfur scent or rotten eggs. Prior to your first Virginia propane delivery, Quarles will test the integrity of your propane piping, and we will also inspect the gas piping in your home. Plan ahead by printing off this list of how to handle potential propane emergencies such as lighting pilot lights, appliance maintenance, running out of propane and gas leaks.

Running Out of Propane

Any time a propane tank becomes completely empty there will be an interruption in the gas service. When this happens, there’s not enough gas pressure to operate properly. In order to prevent this from happening, especially in the dark, cold days of winter, enroll in the “Degree Day” monitoring system that’s a part of Quarles No Run-Out Guarantee. Enrollment in the program allows Quarles to monitor your fuel consumption and coordinate deliveries so that you never run out of propane. On the chance that you do run out, Quarles offers 24/7 emergency delivery for all automatic delivery customers. Customers who are will-call (not participating in the program) can schedule delivery during normal business hours.

Don’t let the mild weather we’re experiencing so far this year lull you into a possible disruption in your propane service from Quarles. Start planning now for the cold winter ahead with Virginia propane delivery services from Quarles. Contact Quarles, a provider of quality heat and oil services in Virginia and throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. We’ve proudly supplied heating oil services in the area since we were a one-truck operation back in 1940.